Sunday, December 14, 2008

Mad Greek, a unique greek restaurant kitsch*





Ken Rockwell says:
I was always afraid of The Mad Greek, since they have billboards and rogue truck trailers advertising them for hundreds of miles in every direction. I gave it a try, and it's great! The food is great (Greek, Mexican and American), the décor is whimsical and best of all, the walls are full of homages to, and lessons about, Greek culture and history. You can have great food and learn about thousands of years of Greek history in one sitting.


Leslie B.
The best pit stop between So Cal and Vegas....by far!
Yes, serious fun atmostphere...the 70s-style Greek murals put me in the mood for the Old Strip.
I just stopped by with my girls and we posed by the many statues of Greek Gods and Godesses. They I did some Christmas shopping and bought some t-shirts, as fun gag gifts for my Greek family members.
They have phyllo dough pastries galore...both savory and sweet. The service is fast and though at times the place gets busy, it is never too crowded.
Try to avoid they typical fast food restaurants during your drive, and make way for some Greek!

Dave N.
Ok, so I'm not giving this place 5 stars, because, well, it's your typical hole-in-the-wall, truck stop, middle of nowhere on the 15 heading towards LA. So let's just get that out of the way now.
That being said.. this is a MUST for anyone driving to LA, or from LA back to Vegas.
I had seen this place on Food Network about a year or so ago.. like someone else said, I just shrugged it off thinking that I would never actually go there. Sure enough, my last Vegas trip found me and 2 friends driving to LA/Santa Monica, and sure enough, there in the distance was a sign for the Mad Greek.
Best Gyro Ever. Yes, I'm serious.
If you really have a problem eating at a road stop off of plastic plates, with the occasional fly flying around, then yeah, of course you are going to hate this place. If you are like me (and a lot of normal people), and can deal with that, then you will love this place.
Besides the gyros (best ever, did I say that already), the rice served with it was perfectly cooked, and flavored just slightly. Homeade tzatziki sauce, again, was perfect. Spanikopita was awesome! We definitely gorged... had to walk around a bit before continuing on to LA.
Was even gonna stop back on the way back to Vegas, but it was late, so we forwent that.
I have heard from others that they actually make real date milkshakes (with chunks of dates in them... the fruit, ya know?) Anyway, you can't drive the stretch from LA to Vegas without seeing about a dozen or so signs for this place.. so .. yeah, definitely stop!
========================================================================
*Kitsch /kɪtʃ/ is a term of German or Yiddish origin that has been used to categorize art that is considered an inferior, tasteless copy of an existing style. The term is also used more loosely in referring to any art that is pretentious to the point of being in bad taste, and also commercially produced items that are considered trite or crass.

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." -- Lao Tzu
Copyright © Demetrios the Traveler


Digg!

No comments:

readers

labels and tags

Powered By Blogger