Sunday, May 8, 2011

Château de Monceau, Wallonia Belgium


Château de Monceau 3, originally uploaded by Babu l'binchou.

The castle of Monceau has been a seignorial domain since the 17th and 18th centuries. The entrance building comprises a square baroque porch dating from the 17th century. On either side are two wings that were redesigned in the 19th century, each of which is completed by a tower. Not much is known about the history of Monceau before the 15th century. Destroyed in 1554 it was rebuilt after 1607 and became the property of the family of Trazegnies, Hamal and de Gâvre. In the 19th century, the western wing is remarkable because of its classical view, in Louis XVI style. The addition of this wing allowed the creation of an honorary courtyard. This residence is surrounded by a superb 67 hectares park designed by an architect from Versailles (remarkable trees).

No comments:

Google+ Followers

readers

labels and tags