Travemünde is a borough of Lübeck, Germany, located at the mouth of river Trave in Lübeck Bay. Travemünde arose out of a stronghold placed here by Henry the Lion, Duke of Saxony, in the 12th century to guard the mouth of the Trave, and the Danes subsequently strengthened it. It became a town in 1317 and in 1329 passed into the possession of the free city of Lübeck, to which it has since belonged. Its fortifications were demolished in 1807.
Travemünde is an old seaside resort (since 1802) and Germany's largest ferry port at the Baltic Sea with destinations to Sweden, Finland, Latvia and Estonia. The lighthouse is from 1539 and the oldest German lighthouse at the Baltic coast. Another attraction of Travemünde is the Flying P-Liner Passat, a museum ship anchored in the mouth of river Trave.
The annual Travemünder Woche is a traditional sailing race week in Northern Europe. The annual Sand festival in Travemünde is known as the Sand World.
Copyright © Demetrios the Traveler