Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sf. Nicholas, Brasov - Romania


Sf. Nicholas, originally uploaded by 23gxg.

Braşov (Romanian pronunciation: [braˈʃov]; German: Kronstadt; Hungarian: Brassó; Medieval Latin: Brassovia or Corona; 1950-1960: Oraşul Stalin) is a city in Romania and the capital of Braşov County, with a population of 284,596, according to the 2002 census, is the 8th largest Romanian city.
Braşov is located in the central part of the country, about 166 km from Bucharest. It is surrounded by the Southern Carpathians, and is part of the Transylvania region.
The city is notable for hosting the Golden Stag International Music Festival.

Saint Nicholas Church (Romanian: Biserica Sfântul Nicolae) is a Romanian Orthodox church in Braşov, dominating the historic district of Şchei.
The church was established in 1292. It was mentioned in a Papal bull issued in 1399 by Pope Boniface IX. Starting in 1495, the church was rebuilt in stone by the locals, with help from Vlad Călugărul, Voivode (Prince) of Wallachia. More help was provided around 1512 by Neagoe Basarab.
Initially built in the Gothic style, it was later redone in the Baroque style. It has frescoes painted by the renowned muralist Mişu Popp.
Next to St. Nicholas Church is the First Romanian School (started in 1583), and a statue of Coresi. Nearby is a cemetery, where Ioan Meşotă, Aurel Popovici, Vasile Saftu, and Nicolae Titulescu are buried.

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." -- Lao Tzu
Copyright © Demetrios the Traveler


No comments:

Google+ Followers

readers

labels and tags