From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ross-on-Wye (Welsh: Rhosan ar Wy) is a small market town with a population of 10,089 (according to the 2001 census) in southeastern Herefordshire, England, located on the River Wye, and on the northern edge of the Forest of Dean. The town is known for its antique shops, market square with its market hall and high number of public houses.
Ross-on-Wye was the birthplace of the British tourist industry. In 1745, the rector, Dr John Egerton, started taking friends on boat trips down the Valley from the rectory at Ross. The Wye Valley's particular attraction was its river scenery, its precipitous landscapes, and its castles and abbeys, which were accessible to fashionable seekers of the "Picturesque". In 1782, William Gilpin's book "Observations on the River Wye" was published, the first illustrated tour guide to be published in Britain. Once it was published, demand grew so much that by 1808 there were eight boats making regular excursions down the Wye, most of them hired from inns in Ross and Monmouth. By 1850 more than 20 visitors had published their own accounts of the Wye Tour, and the area was established as a tourist area
Regular Thursday and Saturday markets are held at the red sandstone Market House building in the town centre, which was built between 1650 and 1654 replacing an older, probably wooden building.
The 700 year old parish church of St. Mary's is the town's most prominent landmark and its tall pointed spire is visible when approaching the town from all directions . The church holds several distinctive tombs, one of which – that of a certain William Rudhall (d.1530) – is one of the last great alabaster sculptures from the specialist masons of Nottingham, whose work was prized across medieval Europe. Another tomb is of John Kyrle, a prominent figure in 18th century Ross, whose name is now given to the town's secondary school.
Opposite the church, The Prospect is a neat public garden offering a view of the famous horseshoe bend in the River Wye as well as pleasant views as far as the Black Mountains. The ruins of Wilton Castle lie to the west of the town, the Castle has now been fully restored and is open to visitors as of 2008.
Ross Town F.C. is the local football club. Ross-on-wye Cricket Club is the local cricket team, with Ross junior and senior teams, Last season's U15s are currently Herefordshire county champions.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." -- Lao Tzu
Copyright © Demetrios the Traveler